Monday, June 11, 2018

Trusting the Savior

What follows are excerpts from the diary of Brother Martin Schneider (b. 1756), recorded as he made his way from Salem to Long Island. His journey began mid-December 1783 and ended on January 24, 1784.

I am particularly interested in the spiritual confidence the former Moravians had in Jesus Christ. By any measure it was bold and rich. Consider this from Brother Martin Schneider (b. 1756). Brother Martin served as the pastor in the Moravian congregations of Friedland and Friedberg.



"It was communion day in the congregation at home, and in my loneliness the Savior was with me in a most blessed manner."

The brethren in an unnamed place advised Br. Schneider not to travel to an Indian town without company. Given that advice ... "I did not see how I could go further. I laid the matter on the faithful heart of the Savior, and told Him that it was His business, and since I now had no comrade, and had come to far to turn back, I begged Him to be my traveling companion. And so I continued my journey in HIs name, and came toward evening to Colonel Smith"

Recovering the Moravian past is key to the Moravian future.

No comments:

Post a Comment