Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Giddy-up

The Rev. Christian Lewis (1820-1891), Moravian pastor, was making his way ... "to (the congregation) at Good Hope. In his handwriting he recorded the following.

"I sent off for Good Hope afoot, as I had engaged a (hired) hand to plow and my horse (was) needed at home.  After walking 4 miles, half way, I passed my dear friend, Dr. Shelton. He asked where I was going. I replied to Good Hope. 

What, walk there and back? Certainly. How comes that? 

I remarked, I and my horse have concluded to divide the labor; I do the preaching and he the plowing and when I get rich like you, I'll keep two horses. 

The doctor laughed and called his boy to bring me a horse, and an excellent animal he was. I mounted him and went on my way."  --From the Friedberg and Hope Diary, 1860.

No comments:

Post a Comment