Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Widow Speaks the Meaning of God's Acre

Photo Credit: Lobster Pot Photography
The widow speaks having buried her husband, Dr. Hans Martin Kalberlahn, in God's Acre, in 1759, at Bethabara, NC.

"So that is what God's Acre meant! Not a place of burial, not even a measure of land consecrated to God, but a field in
which the bodies of believers were laid awaiting the glories of the resurrection!  I knew that of course, but I had never realized what it could mean to one whose best beloved lay there. How sweet it was to think of my Martin, one of the pioneers in this hundred thousand-acre field that we call Wachovia, now one of the first fruits standing in that glorious presence, his labors accepted, his soul ripe for the harvest. Humbly I accept the comfort which the Savior gave me, and the last lines of Brother Reuter's poem became my prayer:


Lord Jesus Christ, Thou art so true,
Thou are so merciful to all,
I pray for grace Thy will to do,
To trust Thy love whatever befall."

The Road to Salem, by Adelaide L. Fries, Page 82, John F. Blair, Publisher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment