Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Heartwarming - The Indians addressing the Moravian Brethren:


March 21, 1753

"Brothers! As I (the Nanticokes and Shawnee) was here last summer, my Brothers (Moravians in Bethlehem) helped me very much. I had nothing to eat and I certainly would have starved to death. I am very grateful to you. Our youth was very pleased and said: "I would have been ruined, if the Brethren in Bethlehem had not helped me." Our boys were strengthened with food and were pleased to hear that you helped us so much. The children who were born since that time have heard that you helped us in our hardship and are grateful for it. Our children in their mothers’ wombs will be pleased when they will hear that we would have had to have starved to death if our Brethren had not helped us.

Brothers! We ask you to accept this small present of skins, which will serve you as gloves and trousers. It is not very much. We are only us few, just a handful.

Brothers! We came now to smoke a pipe with you and not to undertake many matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment